The Italian government is shutting down all non-essential businesses in a bid to stem the spiralling number of coronavirus infections and deaths.
The US health regulator has approved a test which could detect coronavirus in patients in about 45 minutes, according to the developer of the units.
Cases of coronavirus in Queensland have increased to 221 overnight, with an outside-of-school care worker among the additional 37 cases.
Confirmed cases of COVID-19 have ballooned to more than 1000 across Australia and the numbers continue to rise.
Bondi Beach is one of several NSW surf spots to temporarily close after footage of people packing onto its famous sands amid the coronavirus pandemic drew condemnation.
Major streets and highways were deserted in many parts of the world on Saturday as curfews and lockdowns multiplied in the face of a rapidly advancing virus that is severely straining many health systems.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has backed the postponement of federal and state budget updates, saying they would be "largely meaningless" given the uncertainty of the coronavirus impact on the Australian economy.
As US leaders from Congress and the White House toil in high-stakes negotiations on a mammoth $US1 ($A1.7) trillion-plus economic rescue package, President Donald Trump unleashed fury on those questioning his handling of the coronavirus outbreak.
New Zealand has introduced a four-level alert system to improve public communication as the COVID-19 outbreak reaches a critical point.
Five days ago Rebecca Caton was living her dream - she worked in London and travelled around Europe in her spare time.
More Articles ...
- Teen on murder charge after Sydney brawl
- Iran battles worst Middle East outbreak
- Murdered Qld teen never had a chance
- Positive virus tests on Aust-NZ cruise
- Home loan customers to get payment break
- Banks hand loan lifeline to small business
- Stay home: Qld officials' COVID-19 warning
- Keep your distance to slow virus spread
- Latest on global spread of coronavirus
- Covid-19: from outbreak to global pandemic