Four people have been stung by venomous stonefish in southeast Queensland in eight days.
Surf Life Saving Queensland lifeguards removed a barb from a 35-year-old woman's foot at Tallebudgera Creek on the Gold Coast and she was taken to hospital in a stable condition on Friday.
"This is the third sting at the popular #GoldCoast swimming spot, and fourth in SEQ, in just eight days," Surf Life Saving Queensland tweeted.
Stonefish are lined with spines that release a venomous toxin which makes it the most dangerous fish in the world, a fact sheet from Surf Life Saving says.
Tallebudgera Creek was also the area of two other stings, with an 11-year-old treated after she stood on a dead stonefish on Thursday.
Lifeguards treated a 27-year-old man at Bulcock Beach in Caloundra on Friday, who was taken to the Sunshine Coast University Hospital.
"He had a severe limp and I went down to assist him," a lifeguard told the Seven Network.
SLSQ is urging beachgoers to wear thick-soled shoes if possible and shuffle their feet when walking in shallows to avoid getting stung.
Those who get stung should place the affected area in hot water to relieve pain and seek urgent medical attention.
Last year Gold Coast mayor Tom Tate gave permission for Evandale Lake in Surfers Paradise to be drained after a stonefish was spotted.
© AAP 2018