The Hunter New England Health District (HNEH) has another confirmed case of COVID-19.
Earlier today, NSW Health reported eight new confirmed cases of COVID-19 including a woman who is a close contact of the overseas case that was reported last week.
She has been in isolation for the entire period she has been infectious and HNEH said they are grateful for her contribution in keeping our community safe.
It's the second close contact to have contracted COVID-19 from the returned traveller who was confirmed to have the virus on July 14 on his return to Newcastle after spending two weeks in hotel quarantine in Sydney after returning from Europe.
The first close contact was a 27-year-old male who had been in isolation ever since the traveller tested positive.
HNEH District Public Health Physician Dr David Durrheim said the people of the Hunter and New England regions have done a fabulous job in the response to the first phase of the COVID-19 pandemic
"We got tested, in fact 110,000 of us got tested, we stood back, and we had really careful hand hygiene as well as not spreading coughs and sneezes in the community but the threat is now very real,"
"We've seen what's happening in Victoria and obviously now in south-west Sydney as well the virus is on our doorstep and I'm concerned our testing numbers have dipped in the last 3 weeks and I courage anyone with cold or flu like symptoms or fevers to make sure you make use of the testing facilities that are available," he said.
"Get tested now if you have a sore throat, a runny nose, shortness of breath, a cough, please don't take that out into the community, don't take it to sporting events don't take it out to workplaces or into social gatherings,"
"We need to do what we did so well the last time standing back washing your hands regularly and not spreading the virus in the community," said Dr Durrhiem.