Upper Hunter weekend sports wrap

July 17, 2023 8:40 am in by

The Singleton Roosters returned to the field for the first time on Saturday since the Greta Bus Crash last month.

The Roosterettes did their former coach and team mates proud against the Cardiff Hawks at Rose Point Park.

Despite holding the lead at various points in the game….the ladies lost but weren’t defeated….6.7.43 to 4.6.30.

Article continues after this ad
A minutes silence was held on Saturday for the victims of the Greta Bus Crash between the women’s and men’s games at Rose Point Park. Image: Darren Cutrupi

In the men’s Black Diamond Shield…Singleton wallopped The Entrance Bateau Bay 12.9.81 to 5.8.38.

Singleton scored a convincing 43 point win over the Blues. Image: Darren Cutrupi

Muswellbrook has suffered it’s first defeat of the season in the AFL Black Diamond Shield.

Scores were level at 58 a piece going into the final quarter against Gosford.

Article continues after this ad

But the Tigers proved bigger than the Cats at Adcock Park 11.8.74 to 10.5.65.

The Muswellbrook Women’s team had a bad day at the office too.

The Cats ladies pummelled by the second placed Port Stephens Power 10.17.77 to 2.0.12.

The injury crisis has continued for Singleton in the Northern League One Football Competition.

Jackson Cox who had only just returned from the injury list was forced off the field against Kahibah FC on Saturday afternoon with a dislocated shoulder.

Article continues after this ad

To make matters worse the Strikers let a 1-all score line blow out to a 3-1 loss in the final minutes of the game.

The Singleton Strikers went down 3-1 to Kahibah FC on Saturday 3-1. Image Darren Cutrupi

Two catch up games were played in the Group 21 bye weekend.

In the Ladies League Tag, Singleton travelled up north to Murrurundi.

The home side, the Mavettes took the points with a 10-8 win over the Greyhounds.

Article continues after this ad

In the men’s reserve grade Aberdeen took on Greta Branxton in a make up game from Round One after a serious injury stopped play.

The Tigers defeated the Colts 20-8.